Sunday, December 7, 2014

Teeccino Organic Herbal Coffee Alternative (caffeine-free), for those chilly winter months: Product Review


I'm a tea drinker and prefer organic tea and herbal tea. (I've learned from Weight Watchers that it's good to have a nice cup of tea rather than to go for the food.) My husband grew up drinking Postum, which was discontinued years ago. We have one jar left, and serve it on special occasions. We've been searching for a convincing coffee alternative. I recently discovered Teeccino Herbal Coffee. Teeccino has a bolder, more savory taste that is more coffee-like than tea-like, and comes either in tea type bags or loose so it can be brewed like coffee. It even comes in an organic chocolate flavor! Is this the coffee substitute we've been searching for?

The advantage to coffee substitutes is that they have none of the caffeine or the chemicals found in decaffeinated coffee and non-herbal tea (which is really low-caffeine, not no-caffeine).

When my first package of Teeccino arrived, I couldn't wait to try the Teeccino Herbal Coffee Chocolate Organic Dark Roast! I dunk a bag in hot water just like preparing tea, then put in sweetener & milk. Bottom line? I think it's delicious! It's soothing and relaxing. It satisfies me and keeps me from eating more dessert. You can use any sweetener you want. To keep down the Weight Watchers PointsPlus values, I like to use Stevia and Skim Plus milk. Some of my favorite Stevias are: Nature's Answer Liquid Stevia, Cid Botanicals Stevia, and  Sweet Leaf Stevia. (Note: if you do use Stevia, make sure not to add too much, or it might have an aftertaste. I add a little at a time until it is sweet enough for me.)

The Teeccino Herbal Coffee Chocolate Organic Dark Roast is a little different in taste from regular hot chocolate, but is definitely chocolatey. Its ingredients are carob, barley, chicory, ramon seeds, natural chocolate flavor, cocoa, and chile flakes. The chile flakes give the drink a nice, subtle kick! All the ingredients are organic except for the natural chocolate flavor.

I served the Teeccino Herbal Coffee Chocolate Organic Dark Roast to my sister-in-law and her friend, and they really liked it. And I served it to my friend who has a discerning palette and tends to like gourmet foods. He liked it so much that he ordered several Teeccino products for himself.

If you're in the mood for something with a coffee-like flavor but want to avoid the caffeine, try the French Roast, a dark roast which is made from organic carob, barley, chicory, ramon seeds, and natural coffee flavor.

Teeccino also offers Vanilla Nut, as well as Medium Roast, Light Roast, Mediterranean Hazelnut, Chocolate Mint, and Mocha. Teeccino herbal coffees are available in "tee" bags or loose so you can brew it in your favorite coffee maker as you would with regular ground coffee.
You can see all the varieties we have in stock.

All Teeccino products are Kosher Parve, certified by Star-K of Baltimore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts--leave a comment!